Tuesday, November 20, 2007

post-cx thoughts

well that was fun taking pics of cyclocross. just wish I had started earlier in the season, instead of waiting till the last three MN races. I felt like I was just barely starting to get to know some of the "regulars". But I hafta admit I still can't pick out DougS -- there's too many GrandStays out there!

what I like about my state championships photos:
  • lots of bike carrying on the stairs
  • some decent pics with the water in the background
  • good color balance (maybe just a little too "warm"?)
things to do differently:
  • more variety; move around the course more. some wider shots to capture the bigger scene.
  • blur the backgrounds more (larger aperture via higher shutter speed, lower ISO)
  • some long telephoto shots of the barriers, especially the triple
  • find some way to illustrate the chicanes
  • get more pictures of the whiskey hand-up -- stevencx took a great one of TeresaM that's perfectly timed and captures the crowd reaction

  • get 'em published quicker, to get the crucial first round of viewers from skinnyski. (this slideshow has only achieved 372 views so far, compared to rum river which has received 942.)

  • and why'd I take so many pictures of that SkiHut guy?

I need to figure out a good way to publicize my pics and get folks to buy my photos! but that's my weakest area -- publicity, marketing, self-promotion. Come on, all you cyclists and cyclists' families! Buy some huge poster prints from me!

now it's time to shift my attention to HS Dance Team competition. go Wayzata Trojets! (my daughter's on the JV team :-).

1 comment:

Lunatic Biker said...

Don't think too much and keep shooting. Mrs moves all over the course and takes a load of C race pictures. Don't ignore the C racers...that's where the personalities are.