Wednesday, January 16, 2008

perl, excel, XML

Been doing some interesting stuff at work lately. I'm dusting off my perl skills to add some features to an existing in-house utility. The software needs to generate line graphs; considered using perl's GD::Graph module, but settled instead on developing code to interface with Microsoft Excel. Running Excel from perl is poorly documented, but I've been able to find most of what I need thru google searches. (I had previously developed some C# software to interface with Excel...)

I'm also having to learn XML, XSL, and XSD. I've had a reasonable amount of experience with HTML, javascript, and CSS (stylesheets). But XML/XSL/XSD is all new to me. Good stuff to add to my resume I suppose...

2 comments:

muyres said...

Do you know MAYA?

Frankster said...

are you doing animation, or 3d graphics? no, I've never had any exposure to Maya; that doesn't mean I couldn't learn it, of course...