Thursday, December 2, 2010

Shaky cyclocross video


After I shot a cyclocross video with my helmetcam-on-a-stick, and was frustrated with how shaky some of it turned out, I started thinking more and more about camera stabilizers. First I looked up the cream-of-the-crop, brand-name Steadicam Merlin. $800! Seems a little much to me, for use with a $230, 6-ounce camera. So then I started googling, reading wiki, and watching youtube videos about do-it-yourself camera stabilizers.

I got a kick out of GoPro's version of a steadicam.

I saw a wide variety of stabilizers, made of everything from PVC pipe to wood to iron pipe. Some really clever ideas, and some really crappy ones. This guy seems to know what he's doing, and it's pleasant to listen to his Scottish accent. Looks like it's doable, even for somebody as inept as me. I've decided to resurrect my blog just to document this project.

No comments: