Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Step 3: resizing

After working with these materials for a bit, it's becoming obvious that I'm making this thing way too big.

Half-inch conduit (the arc) is actually closer to 3/4" outside diameter, and my pipe bender doesn't make bends any sharper than what you see in the photo.

Additionally, after starting to work with the flat bar of aluminum, I realized it's much bigger than I need. I had intended to get a piece 3/16" thick, but finally realized I had brought home a 1/4" bar. And what I really need is probably just 1/8". So I went back to Discount Steel yesterday and found a thinner and narrower bar (1/8" x 2" wide instead of 1/4" x 3") for two and a half bucks.

I think I'll go back tomorrow and look for a 3/8" (outside diameter) aluminum tube or pipe to replace the conduit. That'll be much closer to the design of this stabilizer.

No comments: