Friday, December 31, 2010

Step 5: Slow but steady progress over the holidays


I decided that my handle was too big and bulky, so I built a new one. It consists of two PVC threadless couplers connected to each other by a short length of 1/2" PVC pipe. To give it a good grip, I stretched a narrow-tire bicycle inner tube around it. I attached the panning ring (a fender washer) to the vertical shaft with J-B Weld.

I shortened the camera platform (the top plate) by more than two inches, and I finished making the bend in the arc and attached some counterweights to it. Then I set about trying to balance the whole thing. For the time being, I've simply attached the camera to the platform using duct tape.

I've tested it a little bit and am reasonably pleased with how it works, but it still needs some tweaking. Here are some sample videos. Note that I do some running in both videos.

No comments: