Wednesday, June 11, 2008

nvgp 08 stage 1

Shooting the Nature Valley Grand Prix again this year for cyclingnews.com.

Rain! and more rain – enough to shorten the women's race and to cancel the men's race halfway through. I need protective gear for my photo equipment like Matt has. The free poncho from the volunteer tent just doesn't quite get the job done.

Rain varied from heavy downpour to steady drizzle. Didn't see any crashes in the women's race, though I know there were several. Saw numerous crashes in the men's race, especially in the northeast corner of the course.

With the dark skies (late start, heavy cloud cover) I had the opportunity to use my newest lens – 18-50 f/2.8. Still, very frustrated with the results – grainy, blurry. Out of practice – had trouble with focusing.

Should have pulled out my old, manual-focus 50mm f/1.7 prime lens. I always forget about that lens, but I need to use it more often.

I set a slow shutter speed for some panning shots, then forgot to pan. D'oh!

Uploaded 20 photos to cyclingnews.

No comments: