Saturday, October 4, 2008

Corcoran CX - my 1st race

This was the first cyclocross race I've ever entered. PaulaP let me borrow her 'cross bike and gave me a brief training session, and EricM gave me a few tips, then I was off to the races! I had two modest goals:
  • finish the race anywhere but dead last (DFL)
  • be able to walk the next day
A unique and fun part of the Corcoran course was the supercross/motocross section --- crazy 5-foot high bumps and a steeply-banked turn. It was a roller coaster.

I started at the back of the 61-rider field, intent on trying to stay out of trouble. But I quickly started passing people on the wide-open, flat sections. When we got to the barriers, though, my lack of experience & skills started to hurt me. My remounts and clipping in were pretty sloppy. But I never crashed, and I never caused anyone else to crash. On one lap near the start/finish line DanielC cheered me on; it's amazing how much it helps to get a little encouragement from the crowd.

There was one point where I went off course when I got distracted by EricW taking photos of me. :-) My race was only a 30-minute timed event (I'm not even sure how many laps we did), but I'm glad it wasn't any longer. I found myself being grateful for the downhills where I could coast a little and recuperate.

I finished in 42nd and lived to tell about it. So I met both of my goals! I even lapped four riders, and didn't get lapped myself. Not sure when/if I'll do another CX race, but it was an interesting and fun experience.

Photos from EricW...





No comments: