Sunday, October 5, 2008

Hudson Riverfront CX

What a difference a day makes! I'm glad I rode yesterday (warm, dry, and sunny) and not today (colder, wet, and muddy). My poor bike-handling skills would have killed me on a technical course like this one. But the change in weather led to more interesting photos.
Lunatic Biker
Saw three co-workers (and fellow lunchtime riders) at today's races: AlanS in the C's, ErikM in the B's on his singlespeed, and GuyA in the A's. Erik and Guy both made the highlight reel, i.e. my slideshow.

Ran into Frye during the A race and admired his new camera. He had given me a shout-out during his race, so I tried to return the favor with a quality photo or two. I also sorta met JimmerC out on the course while he was warming up, so I tried to get a few decent pics of him. I called out Good Luck to StevenCX but I don't think he knows who the heck I am. And All the Way Ray gave me a warning shout as he was threatening to barrel into me on a slippery off-camber corner. I'm pretty happy with this photo I got of him (left).

Thoughts about my photos:
  • Was very worried it would be raining all day; brought plastic bags and duct tape in case I needed to protect my equipment. Luckily the rain stopped right before the start of the C race. Also brought bug spray just in case, but got very few bites.
  • Oh how I wish I had a second camera body, so I wouldn't hafta waste time swapping lenses (80-200 f/2.8 and 18-50 f/2.8).
  • Generally disappointed in the shots I got at the fallen log; difficult to focus in the woods there. Happy with the shots along the sandy beach; should've taken more pics along the beach.
  • Tried to get a tight shot of wheels splashing thru mud but never quite got what I was after.
  • Dang it's tricky getting the right exposure when there's lots of water or sky, and when trying to shift quickly between woods and open sky.

Someone asked me whether these photos are cropped or as shot. Most of these (from Corcoran and Hudson) are straight out of the camera. I think I cropped 3 or 4, adjusted the brightness/contrast/noise on three, and cleaned up dust on one.

3 comments:

JimmerC said...

Great pics Frank. I'll try to get more than a Hi in next time I see you.

OTR said...

That was me hollerin' at you Frank not the Red Lantern. He was off being a good family man like I was Sat.

Good to see you out there again and good to see you gave it a go on Sat.

Frankster said...

whoops, thanks for the correction!